May 6, 2010, 11:30 pm( 5:30am Philippines) I set foot in the Persian Gulf coast of the United Arab Emirates when our plane landed in Dubai International Aiport. The 8 hour flight was no ordeal, the Emirates Airline entertainment was sleek, chic and modern.The Emirates is the biggest airline hub in the Middle East processing 60% of all passenger traffic.The Dubai Aiport opened its operation in 2008 and was built exclusively for the use of Emirates Airline.It has several "IEST" titles as well such as the
15th busiest airport in the world , the
4th busiest airport in the world by international passenger traffic and the
7th busiest cargo airport in world. As soon as I got off the plane I was met with this hot arid climate, not surprised at all until I realized it was too damn hot at this time- almost midnight! Well indeed it is summer, it's a very warm welcome afterall. I lined up for the next shuttle that will take us to the main building and all I can think of is my husband waiting for me in the lounge area.It's been 4 months since the last time we've been together, only once we've managed to talk via Skype because of my hectic job travels. He left the Philippines last December 27, 2010, only 10 days after our wedding.It was all unplanned I never thought we will decide to marry soon all because he got an offer from this broadcasting company (government) and they need him soon! A few days after Christmas he received the invitation letter,visa and tickets and i thought - this is it! I felt so emotional -mixed feeling I know that means I have to leave my job (i love that company the most vs the other 2)and follow soon. Being in Dubai was never our work abroad plan. A year before we've made some trips in other Southeast Asian countries to get a feel of potentially moving and working. He has some prospects for job already but refused to go because we've only been together as bf/gf for a couple of months. We said to each other, if we will work abroad we' ll make it a point to stay within Southeast Asia. Or so we thought!
Fast forward...now I turned 4 months (yeah, it should be 5 but I'll get into that later why) in this largest populated emirate (out of 7) that has the second largest land territory by area next to Abu Dhabi. This city is boasting to a lot of extremes - tallest, largest, biggest- Dubai has been famous for that. There were a few sights I've been to and it all looked remarkable, often greeted with sighs and "omg"! I must say I'm just getting started as there are a lot to do and must see in this beautiful city. Many people , including myself raise doubts when a thought of someone leaving for UAE or Middle East is spoken for. It is normally perceived as dry, deserted, lonely place on earth. While the first may be true , this emirate is the most liberal in the Gulf.While Muslim is the official religion other practices are tolerated except Judaism. Weather is very hot and humid in summer (begins in May) at 40 degrees celsius but turns 45 degrees in June to September. but during winter (November - March) it falls to 10 degrees celsuis. Deserted is not in anyway applicable as this city was oozing with tall buildings, biggest malls and real estates not to mention the lively tourism sites that many foreigners look forward to. Who would thought, in this dry land , an indoor ski course was built! How about the Palm Atlantis?:)
 |
| Souk Madinat |
So, how was it like living in this whole new place for the past four months?
Bittersweet. I thought of this right away as an answer. Before, I thought I am referring to this word as sort of being sad to leaving my well loved company, my family and friends and my entrepreneurial venture to be with my loving husband. That's the way it should be I know, I am very happy though - I've met new wonderful friends and almost every week we gather up at our place, enjoyed karaoke and home cooked food sort of potluck.It's crazy because we will meet up Friday a little after lunch(weekend starts Friday, it is a holy day for Muslims and is devoted for their prayer) and ends up until early morning of Saturday chatting and singing. My first out of town weekend trip was in Abu Dhabi (AUH),just a 45 minute drive from Dubai. It is very exciting to mark all your first activities in this new city:First movie,Toy Story 3 ( halfway I fell asleep, my body clock is not yet adjusted!);first lunch out - Mexican resto Chili's in Mall of the Emirates;first dinner out - Meat Co. in Al Madinat (perfect sun setting and The Burj Al Arab background);first monthsary dinner date- The Saffron @ the Palm Atlantis and the 'least' of firsts goes on.
 |
| The Meat Co.- garden salad in orange vinaigrette and medium cooked steak in garlic sauce |
 |
| 7 Star Hotel , Burj Al Arab (Tower of the Arabs) |
But shortly after two months everything changed. I was shocked by a terrifying news from home that my father is in a hospital (July 19) and the next morning 9:30am he passed away. And soon, my husband and I packed our bags and headed home on July 21 to be with my grieving family. It is so hard to talk about it because I never imagined it will happen so soon, he is very young at 60 and in an instant he is gone.In August 16, we returned to Dubai and it feels really weird. I am not that excited compared when I first laid my eyes on this progressive city. Everything feels flat, in hues of gray and black..I am an emotional wreck yet I know I must remain strong because I still have the rest of my family specially my Mama and youngest sister to take care of. With my new friends around and a very loving husband I am getting back on track. Someday I know I will be able to talk and write freely about him.
So there goes my bittersweet four months, full of love, tears and parties.:) Praying that the next four months, four years, and decades will be just love and happiness - and more parties.
No comments:
Post a Comment